Saturday, June 29, 2013

Horse Dreams by Dandi Daley Mackall

Dandi Daley Mackall has a Horse Series for kids ages 6-10 years old called Backyard Horses.  The first book in the series is Horse Dreams
Little Ellie James' only wish is to have a horse of her own.  She daydreams about the day when her beautiful Black Stallion will come galloping up to meet her and she can enter the Hamilton Royal Horse Show and of course, win.  But all this daydreaming during school is getting her into trouble.  Miss Hernandez, Ellie's fourth grade teacher is concerned one day when Ellie shouts out in class that she has seen a real horse outside the classroom window.  But, because Ellie is known for her daydreaming no one believes her and the teacher has sent a note home to her parents.   When Ellie's mother comes home claiming she lost a horse, Ellie confirms it is the horse she saw outside of school.  She and her mom are on a mission to find this missing horse before the animal control people find the horse first.

I thought this first book was a good, clean story, but I wouldn't say that it was anything spectacular.  I would probably check it out from my local library, but it wouldn't be a keeper on my bookshelf.  The story has some good points that I liked.  Ellie's imaginary horse is gorgeous, perfect and everything Ellie ever hoped for in a show horse.  But the horse that shows up outside of school is anything but beautiful. This horse is skinny and not anything that would deserve a second look.  Ellie learns to look past the outside and to see the beauty of the animal.  Ellie begins to think that maybe God has heard her prayer for a horse...not the one in her imagination but one that is suited just for her.
I have yet to read the rest of the series to form my final opinion.  There are 4 other books in this series: Cowboy Colt (book 2), Chasing Dream (book 3), and Night Mare (book 4).  So come back to find out what I think of the rest of the series.

***I checked this book out from my local library to read for the Summer Reading Program by Tyndale House. 

No comments: