Monday, July 29, 2013

All in Good Time by Maureen Lang

I picked up another book to read by "new to me" author, Maureen Lang.  Below you can read the back cover description and my review.

Back Cover Description:
Dessa Caldwell has a dream: to open Pierson House, a refuge for former prostitutes in Denver’s roughest neighborhood. But after exhausting all charitable donations, Dessa still needs a loan, and nearly every bank in town has turned her down. Her last hope hinges on the owner of Hawkins National Bank.

Henry Hawkins has a secret: though he owns the most successful bank in town, his initial capital came from three successful raids on Wells Fargo coaches. Now he’s the most eligible bachelor in Denver, but to protect his criminal past, he’s built a fortress around his heart. Not even the boldest matchmaking mother can tempt him . . . until the day Dessa Caldwell ventures into his bank requesting a loan.

Though he’s certain her proposal is a bad investment, Henry is drawn to Dessa’s passion. But that same passion drives her to make rash decisions about Pierson House . . . and about whom she can trust. One man might hold the key to the future of her mission—but he also threatens to bring Henry’s darkest secrets to light. As the walls around their hearts begin to crumble, Henry and Dessa must choose between their plans and God’s, between safety and love.

My Review:
 When I began this book, I had no idea what to expect.  The book seemed to really drag at the beginning with all the background information and with building relationships between the characters.  The only thing that really kept me going was the mystery that surrounded Dessa's past and how her relationship with Henry would end up.  Since much of the subject matter concerns prostitutes in Denver's bad area of town, I would not recommend this book for teens.  I would have to say that it is not my favorite book.  I will be trying another one of Maureen Lang's books just to see if it was the subject matter that turned me off, or if the story line just didn't move quite quickly enough for me.

**I checked this book out from my local library to read for the Tyndale Summer Reading Program.  All opinions are my own.

No comments: