Monday, October 15, 2018

Lynn Austin’s Legacy of Mercy

 Lynn Austin’s sequel to Waves of Mercy has just released. Legacy of Mercy finishes the beautiful story the author began about a young girl named, Anna Nicholson.

From the Back Cover:
Having  returned to Chicago, young socialite Anna Nicholson can’t seem to focus on her upcoming marriage. The new information she’s learned about her birth mother continues to pull at her, and she hires Pinkerton detectives to help her discover the whole truth.
But as she meets people who once knew her mother and hears stories about the past, Anna soon discovers that some secrets are better left hidden. With pressure mounting to keep the past quiet, she discovers daily that her choice to seek God’s purpose for her life isn’t as simple as she had hoped.
When things are at their darkest, Anna knows she can turn to her grandmother, Geesje de Jonge, back in Holland, Michigan. Geesje’s been helping new Dutch immigrants—including a teen with a troubled history—adjust to America. She only hopes that her wisdom can help all these young people through the turmoil they face.

My Thoughts:
The history in these books was amazing. I live in the great state of Michigan and loved reading about some of the first immigrants to settle the city of Holland, Michigan. History has always fascinated me and historical fiction is a great way to learn about history. This story was filled with many different themes as many of the characters struggled through various trials in their lives. But the central overarching theme of God's love comes up again and again as these characters seek to following God through their circumstances. Be aware that there is mention of a past incident of child sexual abuse in this story. It is not in detail and just mentions the event.
My favorite lines from this book are the words that Geesje de Jonge spoke concerning all the loss that she had endured as I have also lost loved ones close to me.

     "There was a time in my life when I said I was willing to serve God any way He chose--and I meant it. But then I began to lose the people I loved, and I became very angry with Him for making me suffer. As my resentment grew, I nearly turned away from Him altogether. Then one day I found myself praying with a friend whose baby had been stillborn, and I understood that this was how God was asking me to serve Him. Would I accept my own suffering as something He allowed in order to shape me into something He could use? Someone who would love like Jesus? Was I willing? Over time--and it was a long time--I chose to let go of the resentment and to trust Him. Simply trust Him. I don't need to see exactly how He's going to weave together all of the broken strands--in my life or anyone else's. But I know that the finished work will be beautiful." (pg. 370)


If you're looking for a good series with some fun Michigan history, pick up this set of books from Lynn Austin!

***I received this book from the author. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.

1 comment:

Santana SRP said...

Thanks foor posting this