Monday, April 2, 2018

Imagine: The Ten Plagues by Matt Koceich

Matt Koceich has written a new series called Imagine. These books take kids on an adventure as they imagine what it would of been like to live during different familiar stories from the Bible. This first book is The Ten Plagues.

From the Back Cover:
The last thing fourth-grader Kai Wells remembers (before the world as she knew it disappeared) is being surrounded by bullies on her walk home from school. What happens next can’t be explained as Kai finds herself on the run for her life in ancient Egypt! 
Join Kai and experience the excitement... the wonder... the adventure... as the epic story of Egypt’s exodus comes to life. 

My Thoughts:
I like the idea of this story and going back in time to re-live Biblical events. My daughter has enjoyed reading the I Survived books and The Magic Tree House books so I thought these would be interesting for her. The book is pretty easy reading and didn’t take her long to finish. She is 9 years old and in 4th grade. She said that she enjoyed the story. I also read the book, and thought that it was pretty interesting. The beginning of the story is a bit fast and doesn’t give very much background information before you find yourself in Egypt. I wish there would of been a little more to the story  at the beginning. I liked how the author addresses bullying and that the young 11 year old girl sticks up for little kids who are being bullied. And that she doesn't retaliate with fighting.
One thing I didn’t like was on page 68 where Kai says, “I’ve been scared too, but the longer I’m in your world, the more confidence I find to believe in myself.” I was disappointed that the author didn’t point her confidence to be in Christ or God instead of in herself. On the other hand, the girl does pray asking God for wisdom often as she makes different choices. Overall, the book is descent reading, but not spectacular.
The second book in this series, Imagine: The Great Flood was released in March 2018.

***I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review.

No comments: