Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Growing Up Amish by Ira Wagler


Growing Up Amish  is a true story written by Ira Wagler, a man from within the Amish community.  It recounts his life while growing up in the strict Amish way of life.  Ira struggled with fitting in wondering what life was like outside his little community.  But he feared leaving the community because once he left, he would never be able to have eternal life....or so he was taught.  Peace with God could only come from living within the Amish community.

Vacationing up in northern Michigan, I had seen the horse-drawn, black buggies on the side of the road.  The Amish way of life was always mysterious and different.  I really didn't know too much about them.  This book was enjoyable to read and learn more about their culture and way of life.  It made me grateful for the way I was brought up (Christian--Baptist) and the freedom I have in Christ.  The Amish seem to have a good deal of tradition that guides their thinking and actions, and I found that much of their faith seems to be based on good works.  If you are looking to get a glimpse into the life of the Amish, this is a great book to read.  It really shows you what every day life is like for them.
You can learn more about the Amish here at this website: Amish America

**I checked this book out from my local library to read for the Tyndale Summer Reading Program.

No comments: