Monday, July 18, 2011

Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers

Have you ever researched your family history and found an amazing story?  Francine Rivers has included some of her own family history into the writing of this fictional novel.  The first part of the book follows the story of a young girl named Marta who grows up in a rough situation, yet pursues her dream even through heartbreak.  The story begins in Steffisburg, Switzerland, 1901.  Her life takes many twists and turns and she travels from place to place learning all she can so that she can fulfill her longtime dream of owning her own hotel.  When she unexpectedly finds love, she has to give up her dream for her husband and children.  One of her daughters, Hildemara Rose, is vulnerable both physically and emotionally.  Marta not wanting her daughter to completely be dependent upon her (because of past situations in her own family) pushes Hildemara more than the other children.  The second part of the book follows Marta's daughter, Hildemara Rose and her struggle with her mother.  Will Hildemara and Marta ever work things out between them?  This is the first book in a two part series.  The second book is called Her Daughter's Dream.

I really enjoyed this book.  It is a lengthy one at 483 pages, but did not take me long to read at all.  I simply couldn't put the book down.  I love history and I love a good story. The author did a wonderful job weaving the story and all the historical events together.  I would highly recommend this book!  I'm looking forward to reading the second book.

**I checked this out from my local library to read for the tyndale summer reading program.

No comments: